Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Shrimp & Veggie Delight

I decided to get some new things tonight at Whole Foods, along with my trusty old leeks and some cherries that looked really yummy. The frilly green thing is a savoy cabbage, which I have always thought were so pretty (and found out they are equally as tasty). The round brown thing is a small jicama, and the thing that looks like a stick is burdock root, which, according to that link can do everything from cure measles to detoxify my liver. But, mostly I got it because it was next to the jicama and I thought it might make a nice addition to jicama salad. And if it purifies my blood in the process, then that's just an added bonus.
Dinner was leeks, zucchini, chopped fresh garlic, savoy cabbage, shrimp and some tagliatelle that I forgot to photograph before cooking. There are probably 5 cups of veggies which cook down to about 1.5, 4 oz. of shrimp, 1/2 oz grated parmesan and some butter than was left out due to it's lack of photogenicity tonight.

The shrimp are seared first for a minute per side with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper and then taken out and set aside until the dish is done. I have discovered that this is the key to not over cooking the shrimp.
Then all the veggies are added to the pan and cooked until they wilt and look done. Add salt and pepper at this step, too.

Then the shrimp is added back in, a teaspoon of butter is added along with a dash of the pasta water and the parmesan cheese. Season to taste with more salt and pepper and add the past in and stir.
Put in a bowl and eat. If you have the capacity to eat a large volume at dinner (cals are about 600), this will feed 1, otherwise you could add a little more of everything to feed more than one person. I think I had my entire daily allotment of veggies in this one meal, but it was really good.

I have signed up for a back-bend workshop next week. I was working on my long terms goals for my life and realized that one of them is to be able to do back-bends, so I figure this will get me a little closer to my goal, and push me outside my comfort zone - both of which are good.

No comments: