Monday, April 12, 2010

Self Care During a Cleanse


It only seems right to get a massage during a cleanse. So, that's what I'll be doing after work today. Getting my yoga-stretched muscles and lymph system wrung out further. It's like I'm building a mini retreat during this time, which is important. And very possible even though I'm working.

There is a yoga class tomorrow after work that I've been meaning to attend for a few weeks, so I will plan on that as well.

I'm feeling good so far today. Breakfast was a pear around 7, then 2 bananas around 9 and 10. I'm ready for lunch now and may eat my rice and lentils so that I can get through the remainder of the afternoon without thinking about food so frequently. It's 1/2 cup of rice, 1/2 cup of small black lentils. With some eggplant. Well, first some strawberries.

My main complaint with this is the very frequent need to pee. I'm hoping that will go away over the next couple of days, although I know it is good for my kidneys. And the fact that my bananas were less ripe than I like. But other than that it's fine. I'm counting my calories on Sparkpeople and have "emergency" healthy grains with me so I'm not tempted to eat the pretzals or oreos in the office.

This has also made me wonder why we keep pretzals and crackers and granola bars as office snacks and not a bowl of fruit. How easy would it be to just pick up apples, oranges and bananas at Whole Foods on Monday morning and then have them at the office all week? Anything not eaten by Thursday could just be taken home (we don't go into the office on Fridays.) I'm going to start this next week.

Also what I'm learning is that since my lentils and rice are limited, I'm eating more slowly, really tasting them, and thinking with each bite "am I still hungry? am I full?" And I'm noticing the flavors of the rice (it has Indian spices in it - fennel and mustard seeds), of the lentils (cooking with a vegan broth cube made them so yummy!), and the bite of the eggplant.

Something else to think about keeping at the office - sneakers and socks for an afternoon pick-me-up walk.

Have you ever done a cleanse? Are you doing the same one I am?

No comments: