Saturday, May 8, 2010

Butterflied Leg of Lamb

That's what today's class felt like. It was all revolved poses - taking regular poses and twisting them, so my muscles that were used to triangle and ardha chandrasana (half moon) got some surprises when we revolved the pose. But, it was an awesome class and I feel fantastic.

I had fried clams as a late lunch yesterday, at about 3pm. Then I wasn't hungry at all for dinner. This morning I had a little almond butter on pita before class, and it's 1:30 now and I'm barely hungry. I want to eat, and am roasting some butternut squash and eating pineapple and thinking about making some sort of olive, broccoli, leek pizza later. I guess those fried clams had enough calories to get me through quite a long time. And, man, they were good! Mmmm, bellies.

One thing I'm noticing is that the size of a person's body has little to do with their strength or flexibility. I am generally the largest person in class. And yet, through these last 6 weeks of consistent, dedicated practice I am also one of the most flexible and strongest. My weight hasn't changed, and yet my whole body is different. My hamstrings are longer, my hips more open, my arms stronger, my upper back more flexible. I love it. And I love knowing that I have so much further to go and so much more to learn.

Now I'm hungry. I think I'll have an egg and some rice and cabbage with sriracha. Yum!
----
Edited to add: I think I waited to long to eat. Now my stomach hurts and I'm barely halfway through my yummy lunch. Poor planning on my part. Sorry tummy!

No comments: