Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Avocados are not local

Avocados are not local but I don't care. I have taken to eating about 4 of them a week. They are cute little organic California avocados from Trader Joe's. And 1/3 of a cup (1/2 of the avocado) has 5 grams of fiber. It also has 11 grams of healthy fats.  And it makes an amazing spread for my whole wheat English muffin with a little salt and pepper.  

The other half can be mashed up and used as a dip for carrot sticks, or added to a fajita at dinner. Or served along side some seared shrimp. 

The days I have avocados I stay fuller longer and I like to think they improve my skin. And they just taste so good. I remember my grandmother serving a 1/2 an avocado on a plate, drizzled with olive oil and topped with salt and pepper (yum!) and I remember when I was little and my dad gave me a little slice of avocado to try and I thought it was slightly weird but also good. And I remember when I lived in California and avocados grew on trees (literally) and they were in all the sandwiches and everywhere. 

This post has been brought to you by the National Avocado Appreciation Society. Of which I am now the president. And founder. Or this post was brought to you by not quite enough coffee yet. 

Anyway, I love the avocado and I highly recommend adding it to your daily menu.

No comments: