Sunday, June 1, 2008

Grazing

Today is a grazing sort of day. I had my coffee outside and for some reason, a bowl of red radishes (from the farm yesterday) seemed like the right thing to have for breakfast. The dog was outside with me and a fox ran through the yard. The dog chased it but soon came back since I had the dog cookies and the fox did not. I was reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and wondering if I could raise a turkey along with my chickens and contemplating where to put a much bigger and better garden next spring.

Later, I had a yogurt. Then for lunch I had 2 eggs with some of the white turnip greens. Very yummy. That did not fill me up, so I had a couple of olives, a bit of fresh mozzarella, a slice of avocado and then a small spoonful of almond butter. That seems like it should be enough food to keep me full, but I just entered everything into Sparkpeople and the total came back as 620 calories, which is about 300 calories short of where I usually am after lunch, and it explains why I am still hungry. Also, most of my calories have come from fat today, so I will try to find something with lean protein.... Ok, I am making the rest of the scallops with broccoli rabe. That gets me up to 800 and will hopefully make me full enough to go for a bike ride. The scallops came all the way from Mexico, which is not local, but sauteed with the rabe greens (which will certainly be in next year's garden) it is so good that I have allowed myself those. The farmer's market near my house sells live lobsters, so perhaps next week I will buy one of those....they are local.

Having finished the rest of my lunch, I am now full and ready to go biking.

No comments: