Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Keys To Success

For some reason (birds. singing loudly) I am up at 5:00 a.m. and going biking soon. So, I thought I'd share with you some of the keys for early morning exercise success.

1. Get up as soon as you wake up. Don't lie in bed reading on your iPhone for half an hour and then go back to sleep.

2. Put on your workout clothes right away, while you are still too sleepy to realize what you are doing. Even your socks. Bonus points if you set them out the night before.

3. Turn the coffee maker on. Let the dog out. Feed the dog.

4. Go get your bike out of the Shed of Decaying Squirrels and try not to think about waking any sleeping squirrels that might jump on you, or fly out of the rafters at your head, or crunch beneath your feet.

5. Fill bike tires. Go back inside and have coffee and wake up and then bike.

I'm not sure what the post-bike steps are since I haven't gotten there yet, I just know that last summer I was biking 13-15 miles in the mornings (in the rain!) so I know it's possible. Especially since the birds don't show any sign of hushing up in the mornings.

Also, reading this post by Emily of the Front Burner on my iPhone at 4:30 a.m. totally inspired me to get up.

1 comment:

sarah said...

i love your encouragement to go ahead and get up when that early light/bird/whatever-it-is wakes me. What does my have-to-do-today thing have to do with my waking up thing? Maybe nothing. So I think just getting up - and doing the yoga/bike/dogwalk is a fantastic act of trust and faith in my own prana.

ps.i know an amazing social worker who just trained and ran her first marine marathon run. awesome indeed.

hooray for 21.5.800.