Sunday, February 7, 2010

Pork and Beans

My legs are beginning to catch on the fact that they worked today. I am also figuring out that treadmilling for 30 minutes straight at the same speed (and varying inclines) is a more intense (although shorter) workout than when I hike. I'm never just plowing up the mountain non-stop when I hike. I trod, trudge, meander perhaps and definitely get more of an arm workout with my poles, but aerobically today's workout was quite good for my lungs.

I got my cantaloupe and grapefruit cut for the week. And made some Chile con Elote from The New Laurel's Kitchen. Basically it's an onion & garlic sauteed with 1+ tsp. of chili powder, 1 tsp. cumin then add 1 cup diced tomato, 1 cup corn, 1 chopped pepper, 2 cups mashed black/pinto/kidney beans and 2 cups whole beans. 1.5 tsp salt. Simmer for 30 minutes. So sweet and spicy and yummy. And it can be made with cans of everything - corn, beans, tomato. Perfect for a speedy healthy meal.

I had a little of that with some pulled pork. And some of the spicy cabbage coleslaw from last week. Lots of spice and a little crunch.

Now to clean up the kitchen for what feels like the 7th time today. Then I will clean and chop the greens while I watch some 90210 that came from Netflix. Yes, cheesy tv keeps me entertained in the kitchen.

(And if my former blogging buddy is reading this, consider this a little nudge to start the blog anew, perhaps to record your training for the 3-day and keep me company in the big blogosphere and on the treadmills and sidewalks.)

No comments: