Sunday, December 13, 2009

Firehouse. Recipe for a cold night.

When I was little, my nana (and then my mom) would make this dish called Firehouse. I always imagined firemen making it, and having to run out in the middle to fight a fire but coming back and finding it still tasty and delishous.

2 pork chops. Mine were pastured from the farm down the street. Salt & pepper the chops.
1 onion, sliced.
3 red potatoes, or 2 larger ones, sliced.
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup milk or cream
olive oil
butter
salt
pepper
thyme
This recipe is best salted in layers. I use kosher salt, just sprinkling a little at a time. Using kosher salt with its larger grains helps the dish not get over-salted but still have enough salt
Heat oven to 400

Sear pork chops in a cast iron skillet, 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan. Add onions, a little salt & pepper, tsp or so of thyme, and a little butter, sautee until tender. Add wine & boil for a couple of minutes to reduce. Layer potatoes on top (salt & pepper), add pork chops back to pan. Pour milk or cream over top. Cover with tin foil and put in oven for 15 minutes.

When mine came out of the oven I hadn't reduced the liquid enough, so I simmered it a bit and then added 1 tblsp. of slurry of cornstarch & milk. You want a nice sauce.

Taste and adjust seasoning.

Serve with something green and some bread. And some more of the white wine.

No comments: